2012

2012

Monday, April 20, 2009

Mamalicious Monday- Spilled Milk

Last week I won the Mamalicious Monday post on The Gift Closet! I was so excited. I am going to get a great vinyl wall art from Inspire with Style for just writing a mom related post on my blog. I love to win things. Just ask my husband. He says that free is my favorite word. Here is my Mamalicious Monday post for this week.

I am the kind of person that doesn't often share my inner thoughts and feelings. This can make me somewhat boring to most people I presume. I have always been so shy and reserved from infancy on I think. But today I feel like sharing my feelings. I have a two year old and an eleven month old, and things don't always run smoothly in our house. This is not because my kids are wild, but mainly because I am trying to learn to be a mom. And on days like today I feel like I am utterly bad at it. All day I have these ideas about things I should accomplish, but don't. This morning I took the kids to Walmart to do some shopping. We really needed groceries. I think that one of the best inventions is the cart for two children. My son really likes the ones that look like a car, but I don't care what they look like as long as they work. But it seems that the ones at Walmart always have broken straps. The one we had today had one working strap and one broken. Leighton of course had to have the broken one. This would require him to sit down in his seat the entire trip. I will leave the majority of the experience to your imagination, but after about 20 minutes of fighting with Leighton, I had to take Savannah out, strap Leighton into the working straps and carry Savannah the rest of the time while pushing the cart. It wasn't exactly easy, but we did somehow make it home with a little popsicle bribery (I'm awful, I know.) I fed the kids lunch and got them to bed. Today I really wanted to clean my house because it really needed it. So I worked the entire time my two little ones were napping simultaneously on laundry, dishes, straightening up, and sweeping and mopping my floor. Now, I hate mopping. Well, actually I like to mop, but I struggle to get to it because I usually have to have everything else clean first and it is impossible to accomplish it with two little ones running around. So I have to spend precious time when the kids are napping to accomplish it. My 11 month old little girl, Savannah, has just started going to one nap, which has been helpful because she can nap at the same time as Leighton, my son. But this makes this nap time especially precious. So I finished all my housework today and was especially proud of myself. I finished just as the little ones were stirring upstairs. The day ended with some frustration resulting from numerous spills on my newly cleaned floor. I must say that you may not even know that I cleaned it. But at the end of the day, I look back and see that it didn't really matter. I end up wishing I hadn't fussed at my son for dumping the entire bag of popcorn on the floor. I feel incredibly selfish and humbled when I see others who have true difficulties, not simply a messy floor. I see that I could have been a little nicer, kinder, gentler. Hopefully tomorrow I can remember that there is truly no use in crying over spilled milk.

6 comments:

Heather said...

What a great post Holly! Thanks for sharing! Mommyhood really is the toughest job in the world. Did you see my post last Thursday? I feel ya!
I'll check w/ Inspire With Style again today. Sorry about that! :)

Heather
www.thegiftcloset.blogspot.com

Lunt Family said...

I feel the same way many days. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one. I many times wonder why I clean because it seems to be dirty again as soon as Logan gets up. I am still trying to figure out how to balance having a clean house and playing with the kids. Give me some suggestions of you have any. I totally understand the spills on clean floors and I have many times had to step back and say, it is just milk. Thanks for reminding me to chill about the little thing and helping me to remember what is really important.

Megan said...

Way to share feelings! I have to admit, I use my blog for sharing things I might not always say out loud. And I know you aren't looking for praise, but I will applaud you for cleaning! My house is a mess and has been a mess for so long, I don't know what my children would do if it were clean with everything put away properly. Keep up the good work. I did appreciate the line "I'm learning how to be a mom". Isn't that the weirdest thing? You'd think that having been a child of a wonderful mother, it should somehow be innate, but no, it takes some time and I definitely feel bad for the first couple children(at least in my house). You're great Holly.

Bridget Nelson said...

I love this post. I don't mop, and I don't have any kids. What does that say about me? I miss you guys so much. I can't wait to see you in California.

Sarah said...

Wow! So many new posts. Savannah really is growing up...it's hard to believe they'll be 1 in less than a month!

Congrats on the win. How cool! You'll have to post pictures. And I am amazed that you use nap time to actually get things done. I need to be more like you.

Caleb, Shannyn, and Clark Weiler said...

Oh Holly, that was very well written. I never knew that you were such a writer. I feel just like that so often. I guess I feel like that entry could have been written for me alone.
Shan